The parish church for downtown Oslo was first consecrated in 1697, and in 1950 it was restored back to its original baroque interior.
Oslo Cathedral is the main church for the Church of Norway Diocese of Oslo, and is used for weddings and funerals by the Norwegian Royal Family and the Norwegian Government.
Mass, concerts and guided tours
The church has mass in Norwegian on weekdays and high mass every Sunday, and is regularly used for concerts.
Guided tours of the church must be booked in advance.
History, architecture and decoration
The pulpit, altar piece and organ front with acanthus carvings are all originals. The large ceiling murals were painted by Hugo Lous Mohr between 1936 and 1950, and the stained glass windows are by Emanuel Vigeland.
The chapel on the south side, designed by architect Arnstein Arneberg, were completed in 1950. "The bazaar halls" around the cathedral were built in the period 1841-1858.
The church was previously named Our Saviour's Church.
Norwegian name: Oslo domkirke
|Tickets||0.00 Free entrance|
|* Price from|